I woke up this morning and asked the wife “what time is it?” She replied with a simple, “what time is it here? Or what time does your body clock think it is, because those are two entirely different things!”
As a speaker one of my favorite things is being able to travel and meet new people. But this month has been a little hard on my body clock because I have traveled between East Coast and West Coast Time more times than I can count. That three hour time difference can make or break a sleeping cycle.
My warped perception of time caught up to me this morning when I reflected on all the funny things that happened to me in the past two weeks.
Here are 5 signs you’ve been traveling WAY too much!
1) You have spent more money on baggage fees this month than groceries! – Yeap, it’s true. Actually it might be fair to say I have spent more money this month on baggage fees than I have on groceries in the past several months. I am getting better at packing only a carry-on and the essentials but it can be hard as a speaker because you have to carry product with you wherever you go!
2) You left your carry-on on the plane! – I am walking outside of the terminal and BAM it hits me! I left my luggage on the plane! What was I thinking? I ran back to the check in counter “what do you mean you left your luggage on the plane sir?” the lovely flight attendant questioned. “well I am sorry sir you have to have a ticket to get back through the gates.” After 30 minutes of convincing this woman I was not a terrorist, I got a temporary ticket and ran back to the gate where my bag was waiting for me thank goodness!
3) When you say “have a great Sunday” when it is Tuesday! – I order my Subway sandwich (Last Thursday I ate Subway for breakfast, lunch and dinner… I am not going to lie… I need a break from Subway) and with an enthusiastic tone told the lady behind the counter “Happy Sunday.” Her hazel eyes puzzle and she replies “Sir, it is Tuesday!” whoops! Where was I on Monday?
4) Walking into the Women’s restroom! – Oh yes this happened and instead of thinking I was in the wrong, my first two thoughts were “why are there women in the men’s restroom and where are the urinals?” I proceed to look around for two or three seconds in search for the urinals, I say hello to the ladies and then I realize… I am not going to find urinals in this bathroom. My shoulders come up to my ears, I turn red and watch all the women with their mouths dropped open as I slowly moonwalk backwards without saying sorry! Awkward!
5) When this morning feels like last week! – I worked out, ate breakfast, taught a workshop and saw the sunrise on the east coast then I ate dinner, wrote an article and watched the sunset on the west coast. All in the same day! Oh if the Wright Brothers could see us now! Days like this trip me out. How can I wake up on the 29th floor of a fancy hotel and fall asleep on the 3rd floor of my messy apartment in the same day?
This morning I had to take some time to reflect on all the wonderful places I have been this month but I had to remind myself “what is the lesson here?” Sleep in. I took some time to sleep and catch up. I didn’t wake up to emails. I didn’t wake up to processing orders for our Home Study Course. I just woke up. Read. Laid in bed and enjoyed my apartment.
I felt like a lazy high-schooler and it was fantastic. Sometimes we need those days. Would I trade this job for another? Not a chance. I get to see the country with my wife, help people live better lives and teach them how they can be better speakers. Plus, I get to meet wonderful people. I guess I will just have to do a better job figuring out how to tame my body clock, what restroom to walk into and how to cut costs on baggage fees!
How to be a Speaker: When you travel all over the world speaking, remember you are human and you still need sleep. If you want to be an effective communicator, speaker or orator, it is important you get the right amount of sleep every night. If you have been working hard, traveling long hours and don’t know what time zone you are in right now, take some time off this morning and relax, your body and mind deserve it.
Question: Alright… what is your favorite travel story? Also, if someone gave you two free tickets to go anywhere in the world… where would you go?